Monday, October 22, 2018

Blessings That Come From Learning to Deal with Different Personalities

 October 1, 2018
     This week has been good. We had exchanges with the Zone Leaders on Monday, so that was fun. The Elder I was with had served in Naches before, so we went by some people he remembered and found some new people. 
     Went to a going-away-party for a family in the ward on Saturday, and that was fun. It reminded me how much I love small towns. One of the kids moving is having a hard time, and I was going to talk to him about motorcycles and stuff (he is very similar to me), but I only got to talk a little. I think it was because he was a little intimidated because my companion wouldn't give me any space, and I think we scared him away. I was/am irritated about that. I think that is a lot why me and my companion don't really get along well--because he's very teaching oriented, and I am very 'just be their friend' oriented, so that's why we butt heads I think. But we had some training that talked a lot about just being people's friends first, so hopefully that changes. Otherwise this week has been good. 

     I'm currently kinda sick. Mostly my throat, so I can't even talk. This week is going to be interesting if I can't talk for a few days. All-in-all I'm doing alright (besides being sick), and I am maintaining weight well.



October 8, 2018
This week has been a little different but good. I was sick for the first half so we didn't go out much, but we had Zone Conference on Wednesday, so I went and sat in the foyer, and that wasn't too bad. The weather is changing and getting pretty chilly so probably send that coat/jacket thing. This week we were able to help a member out by getting some hay off his field before it rained. That was a lot of fun. It was right after being sick, so it was good to get out and do some manual labor for a little bit. 
     General Conference was really good. We were late for the first part of the first session because we forgot that we are an hour ahead and that it starts at 9 instead of 10. We got to watch part of it at a members house, so that was super cool. They've got two kids getting ready to serve missions, so that was a good experience for them I hope. We also got to watch a session at the mission home with most of our zone and that was a lot of fun. We also were stopping by some members and ran into a guy who was a firefighter and was working at Tifie Scout Camp a few weeks ago. He and his crew were cutting brush and stuff away from the buildings and ended up sleeping down on the high school's soccer fields. That was super cool to see how small the world is especially within the church. He did say how impressed he was by the people of Mt Pleasant though. I guess he had a bunch of people come up and thank him for his service and stuff like that. So that was awesome. 

October 15, 2018
This week has been good. It was rainy for the first few days, but it has since cleared up and is sunny again--but still has the fall chill. We got to meet up again with a guy we've been teaching. He's been having a rough time lately and was in a hospital for a week. We were able to talk to him when he got out. He's super cool and has gained such a better outlook from that experience. He feels like he finally has some direction in his life, and it'll be really cool to see how he progresses. 
     On Thursday we were able to go and meet with Sister Rasmussen (Who sent the photo) one of her daughters was really sick with the stomach flu and had been for a day or two. She asked for a blessing and I got to bless. I was a little nervous about it, but I did it anyway. On Sunday Alyssa (the daughter) got up and gave a talk. After Sacrament meeting, I talked to Sister Rasmussen. She said that Alyssa had said she specifically wanted a blessing from me (I didn't know that at the time) and afterwords she was finally able to sleep and the next day she was feeling much better. That was a really cool testimony builder for me on the power of the Priesthood. 
     Fall has come to our little town of Naches. It's gotten a little cold, but it is super pretty. I got the package this morning right before I came here to email. I did get to look though it a little bit, so thanks for the coat and everything in there. When you get a chance, could you send my combat boots (the tall black ones) People keep telling us that this winter will be bad, so hopefully they're wrong. 
     That's good that y'all were able to help out cutting some wood. 
     Thanks for the email.
Love,
Elder Walker  

October 22, 2018

     We were at the Columbia River Temple this week. It's a smaller temple, but I really like it. We did get to do a session. It was my first time watching the video instead of the live session. 

     That's awesome that Kevin is leaving on his mission. 
     That's good that Abby and Jamie both had fall break at the same time. How are they both liking school?  
     We had exchanges with the zone leaders again this past week. It was super awesome. We were getting ready for the day on Thursday morning and got a text from a sister in the ward letting us know that Sister Rasmussen (the one who sent y'all the text awhile back) was sick with the stomach flu, and that we should go give her a blessing asap. So we went over there at 7:30am (still on exchanges) and gave her a blessing. I blessed and that was a great experience. After the blessing we got talking and had one of the best gospel discussions I've ever had. We lost track of time and didn't end up leaving until 2:30pm. We hadn't even had breakfast, so we went and got some burritos. They were super good. The exchange was super fun. 
     On Friday me and my companion had a really good conversation about why we kinda butt heads a little. Earlier that day we had had a fairly big disagreement on how to best help a particular member in our ward. I kinda stood my ground on my opinion because I felt it was the right course of action and went and played some hymns on the piano (ya, I'm doing a little of that, sue me) and when I came back my companion admitted that I was right. That was a big boost to my confidence, so that was awesome. During a conversation that night, we talked about that, and he said he didn't know why he was like that. But I think it was just to help me see the value of my intuition and my ability to know how to best help people.      
     Sunday was super cool. Andrew Rasmussen gave his farewell talk. He's going to Provo on his mission. His talk was super good. After that we went and talked with some people, and that was great. That night we had dinner again with the Garants. Their son was at home, so we talked about cars and motorcycles for an hour and a half (my companion wasn't happy, but I didn't care). It was awesome to talk about something I'm comfortable talking about again. That night we talked with the Rasmussens again, and that was good. 
     We had transfer calls on Saturday. Neither of us are leaving. So I guess I've still got something to learn from this companion, but I suspect it'll be better now that we understand each other better.   

No comments:

Post a Comment