Monday, July 29, 2019

Transfers and a New Companion: Elder Jensen

July 1, 2019
     Transfers were this past week...and we got wrecked. Half of our district is getting moved. My companion and one of the Spanish Elders in our apartment are leaving. I'm staying up here in Omak though, and I'll be getting a new companion. It's kinda sad that they're leaving. We were all pretty good friends, and had a lot of fun. We are pretty apprehensive about the new Elders coming in. I haven't served around either of them, so hopefully things go alright. We've just been running around like a chicken with it's head cut off saying goodbye to everyone before Elder Barlow leaves. (he's been here for 4 1/2 months) Everyone moves out/in on Wednesday, so we've got a little bit longer. 
Hand-made BoM cover
     This past week has been good. We've all been dreading transfers and going on more exchanges. I went up with the district leader to another small town called Oroville for that. The zone leaders also came up for an exchange as well, so that was fun. Last p-day we had all the zone come up for an activity. We played volleyball, spikeball, pickleball, etc. We also had a BBQ, which was good. It was one of my favorite p-days to date. This week we'll be going to a couple of stores and probably going bowling. 
     Not a whole lot has happened with all of the exchanges and transfer craziness that has been going on, but this next week we'll be getting down to business a little more. I got some leather this past week and made a leather Book of Mormon, it turned out pretty well, I'm pretty happy with it. (see pic)
Last good-byes with Elder Barlow
Good luck with all the graduate school stuff. Glad it's all over?
     We haven't been able to teach in Sunday school as of yet. We had our 5th Sunday lesson on an area broadcast from the area 70. It was all about missionary work. So it was nice to get us and the ward all on the same page. 
     I'll be sure to keep Dad in my prayers. When is that all going to go down? Is groundbreaking going to happen sometime soon?
     Thanks for the email, We've got a dinner at 5. I'll try and call sometime today. Hopefully I don't get too caught up with this last P-day.

Love,
Elder Walker
June 8, 2019
We have been doing alright. Transfers happened this week. We rearranged the apartment while we were waiting for the new missionaries to get up here. I like the new setup a lot more. It feels much more spacious and clean.    The new companion is named Elder Jensen. He's pretty alright. Super quiet and a little awkward, but we get along. We've been struggling to find people to teach still. I'm still fairly new to the area and the ward, and Elder Jensen is brand new, so we're struggling to learn the area, but we're making progress. Elder Barlow is in Naches right now--I'm super jealous, but I guess I've got stuff I need to do up here.
     We talked with a boatload of people this week. We did talk to some pretty cool people: one of them was an old lady who has lived in Omak for almost 40 years. One of her sons got Crohn's disease while overseas in Korea. She was really nice but not interested in our message. 
     We've been talking with the Spanish missionaries about activities we can do to help us all find new people to teach. One of the ideas was doing a missionary panel where we get up and just answer questions people have about missionary work. That activity is really aimed at the youth and getting them excited about going on missions. We've got several youth in our ward who are planning on serving missions, so I think this would be a great thing for the ward. We've also talked about doing a movie night here at the church and showing the Joseph Smith movie. We don't have any plans set in stone, but those are some things we want to try. 
     In other news, I'm doing pretty good about working out. I've put on all the weight I lost coming home and then put some more on (all lean muscle of course). We got a pretty nice weight set a few weeks ago, so I've been starting to add that into my workouts. I've been watching and my 3 year mark is coming up for when I got off prednisone for the first time. I think I'm going to take another physique check in photo just so I can see some of my progress. Also, I'm coming up on my year mark here in a few days. It's crazy to think I've been at this for that long. 
     Hope Y'all have been doing good. 

Love,
Elder Walker

July 15, 2019

This week has been pretty good. We had some pretty cool things happen where we were able to find several new people to teach that show some great promise. One of them we talked to as we were walking by her house while she was doing some yard work. She had been talking with missionaries before and even though she wasn't meeting for awhile she was still reading out of the Book of Mormon. We are all super stoked about it. We also had one of our young men bring one of his friends to church. We ended up having a lesson with him that went really well. 
     We were also able to make contact with several people that we had been trying to meet for quite some time. So that was great. This past Sunday me and my companion both spoke in church on the Two Great Commandments. It went pretty good. I was a little stressed about it, but it went well. 
     Glad you are enjoying Michigan. Hopefully the kids will be good. How was your flight? 
Thanks for the email. 
Love, 
Elder Walker 

July 22, 2019
     I'm Glad your trip to Michigan went well. Hopefully, your ankle is starting to feel better now. Good luck starting back up with work and school. 
     Things have been going good here. We've been getting around a lot and talking to a lot of people. We've been talking to this one lady who absolutely loves the Bible but is skittish around the Book of Mormon. It's super weird, but we're working with her to try and get her more comfortable with it. 
   
Elder Walker at Coulee Dam
 Wednesday evening me and Elder Raymer (one of the Spanish Elders in our apartment) went on exchanges down to Coulee Dam. That was a lot of fun and quite the adventure. We drove down there at about 8pm and got in right around 9 only to find out that the key to the apartment wasn't the one we thought it was. We ended up having to call some people and crash at the church for the night. It was pretty fun though. We had a pretty good lesson while we were there with some people who were previously taught. They were super nice and engaged throughout the whole lesson. Hopefully, they'll put missionaries down in Coulee Dam soon. 
Sleeping quarters at the church house
     On Saturday the Spanish Missionaries had a baptism for one of their people they had found last transfer. The Baptism went really well. We had about 30 of the ward members show up to support, so that was sweet. We also helped a couple move this past week. They were one of the really great Spanish members, so the Spanish Elders will be missing them.      This coming week we've got Zone Conference on Wednesday, so we're all looking forward to that. 
Thanks for the email,
Love,
Elder Walker



July 29, 2019
     This week has flown by. Probably because for almost 3 days I was layed up with a sinus cold. Luckily before that whole mess set in we had zone conference. We talked a lot about gathering Israel and why we are here on a mission. Towards the end we did a bunch of role plays with the zone which was some good practice for us all. On Thursday we had exchanges with the zone leaders. It was a good change of pace. 
     On Friday we started doing some weekly planning and got through it, but I was fried at
that point, so I went back and crashed. Luckily we had a member drop off a roast chicken that night so I threw it in the crockpot and made some pretty alright broth out of it. The past few days have just been me trying to recover. I'm doing better now. Hopefully, it'll finally leave.
     Sorry for the short email: pretty uneventful week. 
Just FYI I'm running short on BCAAs, whey protein, and broth protein. Just a heads up. 
     Hope things at home are going well, When do you start school? How's the house stuff going? 
     Hope you have a good week,
Thanks, 
love,
Elder Walker   

No comments:

Post a Comment